Sanderson (SND) – HY 2019 Trading Update
- “Ahead of management’s expectations” with underlying (with acquisition, without accounting changes) operating profit growing at above 20% pa.
- FY2019 EPS forecasts had already been upgraded following each of the FY2018 trading update, the FY2018 results and Q1 trading update (AGM statement)
- FY EPS forecasts had already been upgraded in December / February
- Net cash up approx £1.8m over the year to £3.29m (less £0.5m deferred consideration for recent acquisition paid after the period end), with good cash conversion.
- Cash, cashflow and facilities available for further acquisitions.
- Manufacturing sales order intake grew despite warnings of protracted sales cycles in the Q1 update.
- Arguably, the share price hasn’t yet reacted to previous positive trading updates.
- Forward PE is 11, PEG is 0.6.
- Bricks-and-mortar retail exposure. “Digital Retail Division” growth only described as “double-digit” (despite “increased investment”). However with the recent purchase this bricks-and-mortar retail is nonetheless a shrinking portion of the business.
- Somewhat cautious FY outlook (they mentioned Brexit in earlier updates). They do not (yet) say they expect to exceed previous expectations.
- Negative tangible book value
- Have relied on acquisitions for recent growth, with growth expected to slow in FY2019.
- Operating margins weakened in 2018
I have a small holding and will be looking to add on the open.